Champawat District is part of the eastern Kumaon Division of Uttarakhand. It is bounded on the north by Pithoragarh District, on the east by Nepal, on the south by Udham Singh Nagar District, on the west by Nainital District, and on the northwest by Almora District. The town of Champawat is the administrative headquarters.
The name Champawat originated from the name of King Arjun Deos daughter's name, Champawati. The district Champawat constituted in the year 1997. Earlier this district was a part of district Almora. In 1972 the Champawat Tahsil of Almora district was transferred to Pithoragarh. On 15th Sep, 1997 Champawat district was given an independent identity.
|Area||1781 sq km|
|Latitude||29°5’ and 29°30’ N|
|Longitude||79°59’ and 80°3’ E|
|Language||Kumauni and Hindi|
|Clothing||Summer: Cottons/ light woolens|
Winter: Heavy Woolens
How to reach
|The nearest airport for Champawat is Naini Saini, Pithoragarh (80 kms). However, the nearest operational airport is at Pantnagar, Udham Singh Nagar.|
|Nearest rail head for Champawat is Tanakpur at a distance of 75 kms.|
|Champawat is well connected by road. Nainital (233 kms), Haldwani (193 kms), Pithoragarh (75 kms) and Tanakpur (75 kms).|