Pauri Garhwal district is ringed by Haridwar, Dehradun, Tehri Garhwal, Rudraprayag, Chamoli, Almora and Nainital districts from three sides. The southern boundary of Pauri Garhwal district touches with the Bijnor district of Uttar Pradesh. Its headquarters is at Pauri.
Pauri Garhwal district was a part of the erstwhile Garhwal Kingdom ruled by the Shah dynasty. The throne of the King was at Srinagar. In 1803 Gurkhas, after many unsuccessful attempts, finally succeeded in capturing Garhwal by defeating the army of King Pradyumna Shah.
In 1816, Gurkhas got defeated by the Britishers in the Anglo-Nepalese War, and the Garhwal Kingdom was re-established from Tehri. However, the eastern part of Garhwal, named as British Garhwal or Garhwal District, along with Kumaon, was merged with British India as a result of the Treaty of Sugauli.
|Language Spoken||Garhwali and Hindi.|
|Clothing||Summer: Cottons/ light woolens|
Winter: Heavy Woolens
How to reach ?
|Nearest airport is Jolly Grant in Dehradun|
|Nearest railhead is Kotdwar (108 km.) or Rishikesh (117 km.)|
|Pauri, the district head quarter of Pauri Garhwal is well connected by road with Dehradun, Rishikesh, Haridwar, Kotdwar and other towns of the region.|