Tehri district is surrounded by Rudraprayag District in the east, Dehradun District in the west, Uttarkashi District in the north, and Pauri Garhwal District in the south. It is one of the largest districts in the hill state of Uttarakhand, India. Its administrative headquarters is at New Tehri. Major towns of Tehri district are New Tehri ,Narendra Nagar ,Chamba ,Lamgaon ,Ghansali.
In 1803, Gorkhas invaded Garhwal region after killing King Pradumn Shah. At that time his son Sudarshan Shah was minor. After reaching his youth age he managed help from East India Company and got his Kingdom back. East India Company in return asked him for Kumaon, Dehra Dun and East Garhwal and gave him West Garhwal to rule. King Sudarshan Shah established his capital at Tehri town and afterwards his successors Narendra Shah, Pratap Shah and Kirti Shah established their capital at Narendra Nagar, Pratap Nagar and Kirti Nagar respectively.
|District Headquarters||New Tehri|
|Elevation||1000 mts +|
|Language Spoken||Garhwali and Hindi.|
|Clothing||Summer: Cottons/ light woolens|
Winter: Heavy Woolens