Chainsoo is prepared by using black gram daal. Normally due to the high protein content in this daal it is difficult to digest. However it is said that the bad effect gets nullified by roasting. Similar preparation with slight variation is made out of black bhat (a varity of soyabeen), but in that case it is called bhatwani.
- Black Gram seeds(Kali Urd whole) - 1 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup ( preferably mustard oil)
- Garlic - 4 to 5 cloves
- Cummin seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 4 nos.
- Red chillies whole - 4 to 5
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Dry coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies powder - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
How To Prepare
- Place an iron frying pan (kadhai) on a moderate flame. Put Sabut Urad (black gram) in it and roast it without oil for about 3 to 5 minutes or till the pleasant aroma of roasted seeds comes. Do not over cook it. Take off the flame. Grind the roasted seeds into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the Kadahi and add garlic cloves. When the garlic turns light brown, add cumin seeds, red chillies, black pepper and heeng (asafoetida)
- Immediately add the daal powder and fry it for 1-2 minute or so. Add turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder, salt and water. Bring it to boil.
- Cover and Cook till the daal becomes very soft. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Before taking off the heat, sprinkle garam masala over chainsoo.
- Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot steamed rice.
Aloo Daal Pakora
Aloo Daal Pakora is served as a snack. It is one of the favorite snacks of the local people of Kumaon. This dish is prepared by making a cylindrical role and dipping that in beaten egg white. Later it is coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried in oil. It is served with chutney or tea.Read more
Aloo Tamatar Ka Jhol
Aloo tamatar ka jhol, curry made from potato and tomatoes is very easy to prepare and is full of nutrition and taste. Preparing this dish is very easy and this dish can be prepared at times when you have less time for cooking.Read more
Arsa is normally prepared and served as a sweet dish during the wedding occassions and also presented to bride's in-law house along with other items. This is a custom which can be seen in weddings. Now a days people can find this dish selling in markets of Dehradun.Read more
Baadi is made from Kwada ka Aata popularly known as Choon or Mandua flour which is black in color. Baadi is best eaten with Gahat ki dal or Phaanu. This dish is tasty as well as health to eat.Read more
Bhaang ki Chatni
Bhaang ki Chutney is a tasty sour chutney prepared with roasted Bhang seeds (Hemp Seeds) and cumin seeds (Sauf), mixed with Lemon juice. Preparing this dish is easy and requires ingredients that are easily available at home.Read more
Gahat (Kulath) Soup
Gahat (Kulath) Soup is prepared from Gahat ( Kulth) Grains. Gahat (Kulath) Soup is very nutritious and also beneficial for kidney stone patients. This dish is prepared by first keeping boiled Gahat grain that are soaked overnight in a pan with Garam Masala.Read more
Gahat (Kulath) Rasmi Badi (Kofta) is nutritious and also beneficial for kidney stone patients. This dish is prepared by makinge rough paste of overnight soaked Gahat dal that is mixed with little spices and chopped green chilies in the paste.Read more
Gahat Ki Daal
Daal prepared from Gahat, tempered with Gandharein (Angelica Glabris), Asafoetida (Hing) and Cumin (Sauf) seeds. Gahat (Kulath) daal adds taste to your daily food and have health benefits as well. It is beneficial for patients having kidney stone.Read more