Kafuli is a thick gravy preparation made from green leafy vegetables. Kafuli made of Spinach leaves is the most common preparation. Main ingredients of this dish is Spinach which is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol. Spinach is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K and other minerals.
- Spinach(Palak ka saag) - 2 bunches
- Fenugreek leaves ( Methi) optional - 1/2 bunch
- Green chillies - 4 to 5
- Oil - 2 tbsp ( preferably mustard oil)
- Garlic - 4 to 5 cloves
- Ginger - a 3 cm piece
- Cummin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Dry coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Rice powder or rice paste - 1 tbsp
- Curd - 2tbsp (optional)
- Water - 1-2 cup
- Salt to taste
How To Prepare
- Wash Palak and Methi in running water. After washing, chop and boil both vegetables along with green chillies in a little water till tender. Mash into a paste using a blender
- Finely chop ginger and garlic. Heat oil in afrying pan. Add garlic and ginger in the hot oil. When the garlic turns light brown, add cummin seeds and asafoetida. Add mashed vegetables, turmeric powder, dry coriander powder and salt.
- Add required amount of water to Kafuli and bring to boil. Now add rice paste or rice powder dissolved in water.
- Cover and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes on slow fire till the gravy is is thick. If dry add some water and boil.
- Garnish with pure ghee and serve hot with roti or steamed rice.
Aloo Daal Pakora
Aloo Daal Pakora is served as a snack. It is one of the favorite snacks of the local people of Kumaon. This dish is prepared by making a cylindrical role and dipping that in beaten egg white. Later it is coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried in oil. It is served with chutney or tea.Read more
Aloo Tamatar Ka Jhol
Aloo tamatar ka jhol, curry made from potato and tomatoes is very easy to prepare and is full of nutrition and taste. Preparing this dish is very easy and this dish can be prepared at times when you have less time for cooking.Read more
Arsa is normally prepared and served as a sweet dish during the wedding occassions and also presented to bride's in-law house along with other items. This is a custom which can be seen in weddings. Now a days people can find this dish selling in markets of Dehradun.Read more
Baadi is made from Kwada ka Aata popularly known as Choon or Mandua flour which is black in color. Baadi is best eaten with Gahat ki dal or Phaanu. This dish is tasty as well as health to eat.Read more
Bhaang ki Chatni
Bhaang ki Chutney is a tasty sour chutney prepared with roasted Bhang seeds (Hemp Seeds) and cumin seeds (Sauf), mixed with Lemon juice. Preparing this dish is easy and requires ingredients that are easily available at home.Read more
Chainsoo is prepared by using black gram daal. Normally due to the high protein content in this daal it is difficult to digest. However it is said that the bad effect gets nullified by roasting. Similar preparation with slight variation is made out of black bhat (a varity of soyabeen), but in that case it is called bhatwani.Read more
Gahat (Kulath) Soup
Gahat (Kulath) Soup is prepared from Gahat ( Kulth) Grains. Gahat (Kulath) Soup is very nutritious and also beneficial for kidney stone patients. This dish is prepared by first keeping boiled Gahat grain that are soaked overnight in a pan with Garam Masala.Read more
Gahat (Kulath) Rasmi Badi (Kofta) is nutritious and also beneficial for kidney stone patients. This dish is prepared by makinge rough paste of overnight soaked Gahat dal that is mixed with little spices and chopped green chilies in the paste.Read more