Kafuli is a thick gravy preparation made from green leafy vegetables. Kafuli made of Spinach leaves is the most common preparation. Main ingredients of this dish is Spinach which is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol. Spinach is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K and other minerals.
- Spinach(Palak ka saag) - 2 bunches
- Fenugreek leaves ( Methi) optional - 1/2 bunch
- Green chillies - 4 to 5
- Oil - 2 tbsp ( preferably mustard oil)
- Garlic - 4 to 5 cloves
- Ginger - a 3 cm piece
- Cummin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Dry coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Rice powder or rice paste - 1 tbsp
- Curd - 2tbsp (optional)
- Water - 1-2 cup
- Salt to taste
How To Prepare
- Wash Palak and Methi in running water. After washing, chop and boil both vegetables along with green chillies in a little water till tender. Mash into a paste using a blender
- Finely chop ginger and garlic. Heat oil in afrying pan. Add garlic and ginger in the hot oil. When the garlic turns light brown, add cummin seeds and asafoetida. Add mashed vegetables, turmeric powder, dry coriander powder and salt.
- Add required amount of water to Kafuli and bring to boil. Now add rice paste or rice powder dissolved in water.
- Cover and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes on slow fire till the gravy is is thick. If dry add some water and boil.
- Garnish with pure ghee and serve hot with roti or steamed rice.